I wanted to share my recipe with you. This is a versatile recipe that can work with other flavors. But it is an awesome place to start.
Sweet Cream Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Every flavor needs 1 tbsp of vanilla. It makes them sweeter and richer
- Warm it over medium heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Do not let it burn or boil. Cook it just enough that the sugar is mixed in.
- Chill the batter.
- Make the ice cream according to your churn's directions. But you want it to double in volume. Great ice cream has a lot of fat (this does) and a lot of air. Let it double in volume. So important.
- Put it in a freezer-safe bowl and freeze it until hard.
Other flavors using this base.
- Chocolate: 1.5 oz of cocoa.
- Brown Sugar: Replace the white sugar with brown sugar. This is like the best vanilla ice cream ever.
- Peppermint: Peppermint extract or emulsion and crushed peppermint candy.
- Lemon Creme: Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
I visit a nursing home regularly and in one unit the patients often have dementia. Often they cannot remember much, but they remember "Daddy used to make ice cream."
I want my kids to have that memory.