Recommendation: Memrise app for Greek and Hebrew Learning for Busy Pastors
As a pastor, I use Greek and Hebrew every week for sermon preparation. I also use it for my own personal devotions. I want to get better so that I can read the Bible better and better in the original languages if the Lord gives me 40 more years of life.
Practicing 5 minutes each day (4 days per week) is part of the way that I took my skills from college and seminary and got better. My vocabulary is the best it has ever been, and Memrise is the reason.
I've been using the Memrise app for practicing and building my vocabulary in Greek and Hebrew. I've used it for around 5 or 6 years. I got an annual subscription this year for the first time. The free version is worth it, but the subscription is even better.
Here is what I love about it:
- The app tests your language knowledge from Greek-to-English and English-to-Greek, and the same goes for Hebrew.
- It tests multiple choice. This is much more than a flashcard app. It will give you an english word and then give you 6 Hebrew words to choose from.
- Some languages come with audio. I use the Hebrew vocabulary from a professor named Beckman. It has audio for each Hebrew word.
- It has several mode so you can work on hard to remember words, speed, review, or learning new words.
- The whole thing is built around review.